Exercise, anxiety, vulnerability

I just finished another amazing workout class with Holly. I don’t feel like “workout class” even adequately describes what she offers. On the half hour drive from Oregon City to Canby, I was contemplating what exactly it was that had gotten me out of the house this morning to even make the 30 minute drive for a half hour “workout class.”

I have a gym membership and haven’t been to the gym in probably six months. So what is it about these classes that Holly offers that’s different? Well, lots of things that are probably hard to put into words (you just need to come to a class and experience it for yourself) but I’m going to give it a try.

First of all, she sent me a personal message the night before, inviting me to class. Whenever I do see her, whether it’s been a week or a few months, she welcomes me like an old friend, with open arms and a warm hug, and I feel like she’s genuinely glad to see me. Her classes are full of positive affirmations, vulnerability, and just all-around good vibes.

People of all shapes, sizes, fitness abilities, and ages, come to her classes. My nine-year-old son who complains about almost anything I try to get him to do these days, loves coming to Holly's class with me. I’m sure that’s partly due to getting to hold drumsticks, hit things, and listen to loud music, but I have to believe it’s also about how he feels about himself during class, and that is all Holly! She is just so gifted at what she does!

I first met Holly at the end of last summer, when I randomly signed up for a Soul Fusion/Paddle class at the docks of eNRG Kayaking on Clackamette Drive in Oregon City. I liked her energy (no pun intended) and the older I get, the more I realize how important it is to surround ourselves with women who we admire, respect, and genuinely want to see us happy and successful. Holly is one of those people, and my life is better having met her.

She is the reason I drive 30 minutes for a class on a Saturday morning. Every time I go, I try to get someone to come with me, but so far only 1 person has ever taken me up on it. On my drive this morning, I was also mulling that over in my mind.

Why does no one want to come with me? Do they just not want to hang out with me? That is, of course, where my mind goes first. My logical mind tells me that’s not the case, but my social anxiety can oftentimes overrule my logical mind. Anyone else? 

I long for connection with other women, but it’s hard also being a mom of 3 kids who seem to constantly need something from me, so I like to multitask. For example, if I can have my social time with other women AND get exercise, that is like a total win in my book! Plus, I don’t have to go to class alone. Thankfully, I am able to bring myself to come alone, but it sure would be nice if someone else wanted to come with me from time to time.

So I’m just curious, if you're local, in my social media circle, why don’t you take me up on invites to exercise together? Is it me?  Is it the exercise iteself? Is it social anxiety? Is it being too busy? A combination of all of the above?

What can I do to differently that would inspire more real life connection from my circle of social media friendships? I'm all ears and genuinely would like feedback in this area, even if it's hard to hear. I want to be a better person and sometimes we need to ask for help from others in order to be the best versions of ourselves.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1Ah8txRvyKEB9kNKYXbKeT4G_0tab0Yonhttps://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1J7G_-Wk_js-3qgVGeT-gxeDTBV_Vd-HZhttps://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=15gnslGd7iVq0Z0y-kgzX9UEPyvchvIL4


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How we got here…

March 20th, 2018