4 year checkup

I just finished having my teeth cleaned at the dentist. I knew it had been a while since I had been in, but I was thinking a year, year and a half. When they told me my last visit was in 2019 I was shocked (and a little concerned to be honest…the last time I went too long with out check ups was when I was pregnant with the girls and when I finally went back I had really bad gum disease.)

This time was different, thankfully. I had no cavities  and my gums are in great shape. The dentist actually said “see you in another 4 years, I guess” then laughed and said just kidding. 

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1zcXQmYl_Ip1kDazP79E6beSBkC1RsjJ3

Side note though, and tell me if you think this is weird, but they only let you schedule out 4 months in advance. So in my defense I can see why I didn’t go, and since there were no reminders of upcoming appointments it just fell off my radar. I did manage to keep bringing the kids though, and that is the strange part, the part I came here to write about.

I feel like this is a perfect example of how we as parents can get so wrapped up in taking care of our kids, we forget to take care of ourselves. I can’t believe I went 4 years without a dental cleaning. I’ve (almost) always taken excellent care of my teeth, thanks to my dad and his daily reminders to brush and floss when I was little. The tooth fairy would even bring us dental floss and toothpaste, along with some cash of course. 

My hygienist commented that she recognized me and knew it hadn’t been 4 years since I’d been there. 

How did I manage to keep the kids on track with their dental cleanings and checkups, and completely disregard my own. I honestly don’t know. But I will take this experience and learn from it, and be more aware of my own health needs and not just the needs of the kids. 

Because really, in order for us all to be better moms and dads, better friends, better people, we need to take care of ourselves first. Whatever that looks like to you. 

Much love to you all and here’s your reminder to get your teeth cleaned if it’s been a while. Lol


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How we got here…

March 20th, 2018