Un día en la vida... A day in the life



So many people have expressed concern about our decision to move to Mazatlan, Mexico. After all, it is in the state of Sinaloa, known as one of the most dangerous drug cartel states in the country, and the city where the famed "El Chapo" was captured back in 2014.

Click here to read the full story

Articles like these saturate the American media and perpetuate the cycle of fear.

We were warned of theft, kidnapping, robbery, extortion, even murder. 

We spent 6 months here last winter with our three school aged children. And we just moved back 2 weeks ago to enroll our children in school and spend at least another 10 months here.

We are moving out of our gated coto in the superbs and into the heart of downtown Mazatlán, near Centro, Olas Altas, and the Malecon - one of the longest ocean front boardwalks in the world. 

We have never felt unsafe here. Our kids have never felt unsafe here. We have left our house unlocked and nothing has been stolen. I have walked around the city alone (sometimes even wearing my jewelry and carrying a nice purse 👛 🙊) and no one has ever tried to rob or steal from me. 

If anything, people here are more friendly and look out for each other more than what I've experienced in the United States. School shootings aren't even a thing here. Movie theater shootings, workplace shootings, mall shootings... not an issue.

Do bad people doing bad things get hurt sometimes? Yes, but you are going to find that almost anywhere you go in the world. 

My goal is that people could see Mazatlán for what it truly is. The people, the culture, the history, the beauty that surrounds the city... all factors that contributed to our decision to relocate our family here for a season. 

Today I attended my first honores (honors ceremony) at Kenton's school. Last week he was "student of the week", in his class and the honors were supposed to take place yesterday morning, but school was canceled due to the effects of tropical storm Pilar ⛈ 

I have to admit that being the minority and not understanding the language is humbling to say the least. It's uncomfortable and challenging, embarrassing at times, and downright frustrating at others. But it's worth it! 

It's worth it to have my kids experience another way of life, to not just grow up thinking that how we do things in the United States is right and best. To know that love and kindness exists all over the world. 

So while at times here I feel so far out of my comfort zone that I almost loose my breath, other times I feel so welcomed and at peace that I can't imagine going back to my old way of life. 

After the awards ceremony today, I walked the few blocks from the school to the Malecon and strolled along the ocean, stopping to take in the sights and sounds. When I was tired of walking, I caught an Uber the rest of the way to the immigration office, where I picked up my official residencia temporal (temporary residency card). 

After that, I negotiated a pulmonia fare to Plazuela Republica (or the pigeon park as my kids have fondly named it. I'll let you guess why.)

There I relaxed on a park bench for 45 minutes before my appointment with my dentist two blocks away. I bought chiclets from an older gentleman for 2 pesos per pack. I have another older woman a couple of pesos when she asked and she was grateful. I smiled at people and they smiled back.

You see, people are people all over the world. And most of us are kind and respectful human beings. Don't let the fear of danger or the fear of the unknown stop you from experiencing what this world has to offer.

After my dentist appointment I had an iced frappe and a small bite to eat at a local cafe, then headed to my chiropractor and massage appointment, also only a couple blocks away.

After that, I took the city bus home for 7 pesos. The battery died on my camera sometime during the hour long massage - but here is a glimpse of my day in fast forward on the streets of Mazatlan.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How we got here…

March 20th, 2018