The search for cheesecloth...

So I actually haven’t been drinking much coffee here in Mexico. It’s hot and no one else in my house drinks it... and i can pretty much nap every day if I want, so it hasn’t really seemed necessary.

However, after seeing a post the other day by the Pioneer Woman Ree Drummond  I was reminded how much I love her iced coffee... and what could be more perfect here in Mazatlán than any beverage over ice, really. 

But her iced coffee recipe is one of my faves. You can find it here if you’re interested.

It is a bit involved, and is the very best if strained through cheesecloth, so today that’s what I set out to find.

First stop, the public market... the cremeria to be exact. I mean, a store that makes and sells cheese should have cheesecloth, right? Unfortunately, no such luck. However, the gentleman behind the counter was very helpful and after looking at my google images search to determine exactly what it was I was trying to find, he directed me to a store across the street from the market called Parisina.



Of course like many streets in downtown Mazatlán right now, this one was under construction. I finally made my way across the street and into the store... a giant fabric store. I remembered from last year, when we bought the kids blankets at a similar store, that the process can be somewhat involved.



The first woman I asked for help said something to me in Spanish that I didn’t understand but she pointed so I headed in that general direction. 

The second woman knew where to take me (after seeing my google images, and my google translate version of the word - which was not correct of course - but enough to get my point across).

So off we went to the other side of the store. One meter of the delightful cloth was only 10 pesos (about 57 cents US) so she took me to the cutting counter, measured and cut the cloth. 

Then she gave me a slip of paper, similar to what they do in the States when you buy bulk fabric, only here you have to leave the fabric behind.

Next, you have to find the cashier, give her the slip of paper and pay. She then staples another receipt to your original slip and sends you to the third (and final) counter where you are finally able to collect your merchandise. 

It’s a process, let me tell you... and not being fluent in Spanish just makes things here that much more difficult. 

But... I did it. I have my cheesecloth, my coffee is brewing in the fridge as we speak and tomorrow this will all have been worthwhile.



Oh, and in case you were wondering, the lady at the store called it “manta de cielo” - but I don’t even know if I’m spelling that correctly.

If you know... feel free to comment below 👇🏼👇🏼👇🏼

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How we got here…

March 20th, 2018