Hostel Getaway

Not hostile. Hostel. 


Definition: an inexpensive lodging facility that usually has dormitory style sleeping arrangements and sometimes offers meals and activities. 


It might seem a little strange to share a room with a bunch of strangers, but I actually love it. Don't get me wrong, I love a good hotel room all to myself with a private bathroom and if I could afford my own private soaking pool somewhere, I would certainly enjoy that as well.  


But hotel rooms have gotten expensive. $300 - $400 a night! I just can't afford that for a quick weekend getaway. Airbnb's are great, I'm not opposed to renting rooms on there either but I guess I just like the feel of hostile style lodging. 



I didn't realize it until I got here, but I think my first experience in a hostel was with my dad when we were backpacking around Europe together in 2002. 


Being here these past couple days has been a special time of reflecting on his life, the good times we had together and how much he has shaped who I am today. Without him, I might not like hostels and I'd be missing out on this amazing and inexpensive way to travel.


$109 for two nights, plus the cost of food and gas, brought the whole 48 hour retreat to about $300 and included 4 separate sessions in the spa and unlimited free time to focus on some work tasks that required more of my attention than I'm usually able to provide working from home while the kids are on summer vacation. And I didn’t have to cook or clean anything!



A while back a friend told me about this place out in the Gorge that she likes to go to get away. It's called The Society Hotel & Spa, and while they do have private cabins that you can rent, they also have dormitory style sleeping arrangements that are only $55 per night. In true hostel fashion, you can't be a local to rent the bunks. You have to be traveling at least 50 or 60 miles from your home.








The hotel stay includes soaking in their warm, hot and cold pools and use of the sauna no matter which room style you book. Admission to the spa usually costs the general public a $20 daily use fee, so it's really only costing $35 to spend the night and I get my own cozy bunk bed to sleep in with privacy curtains, and full use of the rest of the facilities. 




I can hang out in the lobby or cafe and use my laptop, read in one of the hammocks on the property, relax or do yoga in the sanctuary, and book an hour session in the spa once per day. 








They are relatively slow since I've been here (Sunday/Monday), so they allowed me to book extra spa sessions. Yesterday I started the day with a soak and cold plunge and ended the day in the spa again. This morning I got to have the whole place to myself from 7:30 - 8:30am and wrap up my getaway with a few more dips in the cold pool.


If you’ve never done a cold plunge, I highly encourage it. It has greatly reduced the inflammation in my back and neck and made my whole body feel alive in a way that’s hard to describe. The poster on the wall in the spa area described the sensation like a humming or buzzing running through your cells.


Here is an article if you’d like to read more about the benefits of cold plunges and ice baths:


https://plunge.com/pages/why-plunge


Sometimes the appeal of this style of travel can be the opportunity to meet other travelers that you might not otherwise meet if you were traveling with friends or family. While I do enjoy that, this get away was more about turning inward. I've actually really enjoyed not having to talk much, except to order food or check in at the front desk of the spa. 


I've been able to really focus on my thoughts, some tasks I needed to check off my list, catching up on some writing, and trying to finish some of the many books that I have started. (I want to get better at this. I start books pretty regularly and then don’t finish them. I don’t like that about myself and I’m purposing to work on it, even if it means I need quiet getaways like this more often.)


If you’ve never taken a get away by yourself, I highly encourage giving it a try. If cost is a factor, there are affordable options like this available. I have also done solo car camping trips to get away on a budget.


I’d love to hear from you in the comments. Have you ever taken a solo getaway? Where did you go? Any other suggestions of places like The Society Hotel where you can stay in shared rooms for under $100 per night? Bonus points if it’s driving distance from Portland, but if you have a hostel that you love anywhere in the world, I would love to hear about it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anniversary of my Dad's diagnosis

Day Care