Screen Addiction is Ruining Our Summer

That might be a little overly dramatic, but I know I’m not the only mom feeling this way. Over the last few weeks I’ve had conversations with a few other mom friends who have been feeling similar frustrations.

Screens are addicting. We know that now, but in many ways it seems like it’s too late, the damage is done. We are a world addicted to screens. It’s not just a kids problem, and I’m aware of the irony as I sit here on my own screen and write this blog post, while my kids happily splash around in our friends pool.

I feel like a hypocrite telling them to get off their phones and screens and enjoy the real world, while I type a way on mine, but I do also see the value that technology has brought to my life. Without the internet, the cloud, and mobile hotspots, I wouldn’t be able to have the business and career that I have, that allows me to do things like spend afternoons at the pool with my kids in the summertime.

But it does make it difficult to ask them to do something that I can’t model. So many times I let them have way more screen time than what I feel is healthy. And then I feel guilty for not being a better mom. 

And the most frustrating and worrisome part is their lack of desire to do anything else. It’s like I’m
asking them to do chores when I suggest going to a friends pool for the afternoon, and when I actually have to ask them to do chores, oh boy… the attitude then is even worse.

I have a checklist of things they have to do before screens everyday. Some stuff is work, like cleaning their room and doing a chore, but other stuff is (or should be imo) fun! 

Reading, doing art, playing outside on the trampoline, playing a card or board game. Those things are fun. They are things that can be done for enjoyment and entertainment, but when compared to the enticement of screens and video games, those things simply become items to check of their list in order to get to the ultimate goal - time in front of a devise. It makes me sick to think about, and I honestly don’t know what the solution is or should be. 

I would love to hear any advice, tips or tricks that have helped you and your family to combat screen addiction and the resulting apathy that comes along with it. Feel free to comment here or send me a DM if that is more comfortable. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anniversary of my Dad's diagnosis

Day Care