Social Anxiety

I don’t consider myself an anxious person. I have suffered from anxiety at times in my life, but thanks to therapy I have been able to lead a pretty peaceful life for the last few years.

I consider myself an extroverted introvert. I enjoy meeting new people and the occasional social gathering, but i definitely need my alone time to recharge and clear my head.

I regularly meet with people for work, either new clients, potential clients, or professional referral partners. I rarely have any anxiety about these meetings. 

I don’t have anxiety about going to my kids’ school or the grocery store, although those places use to trigger lots of anxiety before therapy.

But the strangest thing happened earlier this week. Actually, it’s probably not all that strange. In fact, I’m venturing to say that maybe quite a few of you reading this post may have experienced something very similar (it will make me feel better if you have. lol)

Last Wednesday, the pickleball club in my town was hosting a “ladies night” to kick off the summer. It was being hosted at a local park and anyone was welcome. I enjoy pickleball and have been wanting to learn more about the official rules of play. I’ve mainly just hit the ball around with the kids for fun with the pickleball set I got as a gift a year or so ago. I had it on my calendar to go. I told the kids I was going. I got done with my appointment in time to go. I actually drove myself to the park where it was happening and found a place to park. And then I just sat there in my car. I couldn’t bring myself to get out and walk over to the pickleball courts. Why? I was honestly so frustrated with myself. Even in that moment, I was so disappointed in myself that I couldn’t overcome the anxiety and go enjoy myself. 

Where does that anxiety come from? What does it mean? What purpose does it have? And most importantly, how in the heck can I overcome it?! Suggestions welcome ๐Ÿ‘‡๐Ÿผ




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anniversary of my Dad's diagnosis

Day Care