Unnecessary Panic

I just got home from dropping kids at school and was not expecting anyone to be at my house when I came back. However, when I pulled in there was a black car in my driveway that I didn't recognize. When I came in the front door, there was a vacuum cleaner that hadn't been there when I left. The cleaners were here! Only problem is that I had no idea they were scheduled to come today. Usually I make the kids pick up their rooms, we put away all our crap, organize, ect., that way the cleaners can come in and do just that... clean. 

Realizing they are here and completely unexpected, I of course, panic. For about 15 minutes, I ran around like a chicken with it's head cut off, putting things away, clearing off counters, starting a load of laundry. Then, I calmed down, and had time to reflect on how silly the panic is, but also how practical "getting ready for the cleaners" really can be. I hear people joke all the time that they have to clean before the cleaners get there, but I don't think that's really the issue. For me, it's the forced excuse to have to put everything back where it belongs, folded up nicely, tucked away, pillows fluffed, and then the cleaners can come in and do what they do best - CLEAN! They can spend their time wiping and scrubbing, sweeping and mopping, vacuuming and dusting - rather than having to pick up kids clothes off the floor in order or work around piles of paperwork stacked in the living room.


https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1kTAFs-xzSK_P5dwYfdgfe4eM3_cKi4mq

Yes, that's really my living room right now! Trust me, I would not have asked Tenley to start this project if I knew the cleaners were coming. So, I guess this will be a good test of how satisfying it is to just have a clean house, but not necessarily an organized house (which to me will feel less clean since they won't be able to vacuum the whole living room carpet for example.)


The next day…

Well the results are in: It is definitely not as satisfying. Don’t get me wrong, it’s nice to have the toilets scrubbed, and the floors clean, but it just doesn’t feel the same when things aren’t organized. I have the next three months of cleanings listed on the calendar with reminders set so this doesn’t happen again. Don’t ever let anyone make you feel bad about “cleaning before the cleaners come.” It really does make a difference.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anniversary of my Dad's diagnosis

Day Care